Exam season. Nightmare. There is literally nothing like it. My lovely, sweet, caring flatmates become snappy and irritable, and I morph into a fully-fledged crabby, selfish, sleep-deprived monster. The kettle hardly gets a moment to itself (caffeinated drinks appear to be the order of the day), and fresh produce such as fruit or vegetables become something you can only briefly recall, as if from another life.
I have the perfect cure for what's ailing you... Coffee cupcakes. Although I could ill-afford the time off studying to bake, these were worth it, as I'm quite convinced that they alone stopped us going all "Lord of the Flies" on each other in the flat due to stress.
80g salted butter, room temperature
20g instant coffee granules
240ml full-fat milk
280g caster sugar
240g plain flour
1tbsp baking powder
50ml full-fat milk
15g instant coffee granules
160g salted butter, room temperature
500g icing sugar
|I recommend using a high-quality instant coffee for a tastier, more caffeine-packed cupcake. My flatmate swears by Clipper, she wouldn't drink anything else (I wouldn't know, I only drink ground coffee, darling).|
(1) Preheat oven to 190 degrees centigrade.
(2) Gently warm the milk over the hob and stir in the coffee granules.
(3) Stir the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder together until the consistency is sandy.
(4) Add the eggs to the milk and coffee, and stir into the dry mixture until smooth.
(5) SNEAKY TRICK! Transfer cake mix to a measuring jug and pour into twelve large paper cases in a cupcake tray until cases are two-thirds full - this is so much easier than spooning the mixture out, cutting down on both time and spillages.
(6) Put tray in lower shelf of oven for 18-20 minutes. When done, cakes should be spongey to the touch and skewers should come out clean. Leave to cool in tray for several minutes, and then transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
(7) Repeat stage two, and then allow the milk and coffee to cool completely.
(8) Mix the butter and icing sugar.
(9) Add the milk and coffee mix and stir until smooth.
(10) Ice cupcakes generously and decorate with chocolate flakes, sprinkles or chips.
These are the perfect cocktail of sugar-rush and caffeine hit to get you through stressful situations. Although that said, I plan on eating many, many more of them when exams are finished because they're just delicious. The whole "exam" thing is just an excuse. Actually, I'm just a glut. Honestly, they were such a hit in my flat, this was the second batch in twenty four hours. Om nom nom.
Anyone have any fail-safe exam survival tips for me? The situation is getting a bit desperate...
I hope you're all having wonderful weekends, free from revision and that horrible feeling of waking up every morning, and thinking "Was it today? Have I slept through an exam? What day is it? WHO AM I? OHMYGODOHMYGODNOOOOOO."
Oh dear, it would appear that I've totally lost my marbles.